Sketchbook Projects of Yore: 2010

The Inaugural Sketchbook Project, in early 2010. I really credit this project for getting me out of a two-year long funk where I didn't draw or paint much, and was invariably frustrated by everything I did make. The daily assignments, along with the inability to get too ambitious, got the pencil in my hand and laid off the pressure that was keeping me from enjoying the creative process. I remembered that I could draw, I took bizarre and fun risks (bag-headed, disembodied mouth people anyone?), and learned that hair is superfun to draw - something that has now consumed much of my work. Most of these sketches referenced vintage found photographs I hoarded from a thrift store in BK. I've got to give props to Katherine Romansky, Brendan McCauley, and Adria Sutter among others for organizing these projects that were so enjoyable and helped me get back to the basics. I hope the project continues in the years to come!